Request for information to help compile a record of the mills of the Ryburn Valley

 

Questions about the mills of the Ryburn Valley

 

Mainly to do with: dates (as accurate as possible to the year), owners, users, uses and mostly since 1934

Correction of any mistakes would also be appreciated

 

Soyland

  1. When did it close? (Ryburn Knitwear was there in 1950)

  2. Was anyone else there after Ryburn Knitwear?

  3. When was it converted in to flats?

 

Severhills

  1. When was it demolished?

 

Upper Lumb

  1. What was the last business?

  2. When was it demolished?

  3. Has anyone got a picture of it?

 

Thorpe

  1. What / who was there after 1941? (the Yorkshire Doubling Co. was there sometime before then)

  2. When were most of the buildings demolished?

 

Rishworth New

  1. When did the Wheelwrights stop working there?

  2. When did Crossleys move in?

  3. Who else occupied it – apart from Carpets International, Interface, Kossets, Coloroll?

  4. Did Wheelwrights retain ownership?

 

Rishworth Old

  1. When did Wheelwrights stop?

  2. When did Nairns stop?

  3. When was it converted in to a school?

 

Spring

  1. Who occupied it after 1933 when the machinery was sold?

Eg, storage of food, incl peanuts, during WWII …??

  1. When were the different uses?

  2. When did its occupation finish for good?

 

Booth Bridge

  1. What happened to it after 1919 when the Kenworthys had it as a fulling mill?

  2. When was it demolished?

  3. Has anybody got a picture of it?

 

Hanging Lee

  1. When was it demolished? (It was empty in 1934)

  2. When exactly was it occupied by the brewery? (early 1900s)

  3. Did it have any other uses after 1934?

 

Ryburnedale Paper

  1. When was it demolished?

 

Stones

  1. When did the chicken broiler business operate and who was the owner?

  2. When was most of the mill demolished?

 

Lower Dyson Lane

  1. When was most of it demolished? (It was owned by Commercial Mill Co. from 1927)

  2. How was it used after 1941 when it was empty?

 

Commercial, incl Excelsior

  1. When was the big mill – built in 1862 – demolished?

  2. When / what was Scientific Packaging? (Was it part of King’s?)

  3. When was King’s at Excelsior – start and finish?

  4. Who else has occupied part of it or its site  apart from:

Kings, Marrath / Marris steel, Ryburn Polythene, Animate, Covers 33, Ryburn Furniture, Stewart Wightman, Andrew Holt haulage, Jim Haynes supplying steel, …..

 

Ripponden

  1. What happened to it after 1934 when Bottomley and Sons were there? ( Ie. uses, users, owners, date of closure)

  2. When was most of it demolished?

 

Chapel Field

  1. The fire in 1929 destroyed the bigger, older mill. Who / what has used it since then and when? (eg. Education Department for woodwork classes 1931-1940?? Village library, Alphapaks, Dependable Packaging, ????…..)

 

Where was Tyne and Clyde … what did they do … when?

 

Please give this to anyone who you think may be able to help.

Thank you

Julian Carr    

                                                                            

                                                                          

© 2016 Ryburn Valley History Society